Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Book: The Elite by Kiera Cass

This is the sequel to The Selection, it came out on Tuesday and I had finished it by...Tuesday.

This was a brilliant sequel, and I am very pleased to be able to say that Cass surprised me. One of the main issues I have with first person narratives is that you know 100% that they will survive until the end of the book (unless it is a multiple narrative first person narrative), though for dystopias the first person narrative definitely works, or at least it does for me, and if a dystopia is not in the first person then it benefits from being a limited third person narrative, the person working out what is going on is part of the thrill of reading it!

Anyway, I thought that the ending of the Elite was surprising, and the events leading up to it just as so, which made it refreshing to read, and not just a rehash of book 1. I was also happy to find out that I was right with my suspicion about what Marlee was up to!

I really felt that throughout the book the characters developed more (with the possible exception of Aspen, whose 'devotion' or 'obsession' with America grates on me for some reason), with America and Maxon in particular taking on more rounded and nuanced roles, they make mistakes and deal with them in a realistic way.

What I did find interesting was that there is no action by any of the central characters to actually bring down the government, the rebels are present, as they are in book 1, but there are no named characters on that 'side' in the book, yet at the same time there is a desire to change things.

Overall I would recommend reading this (after the Selection that is!) and am excited to see what Cass comes up with in the conclusion to this trilogy!