Monday, 29 April 2013

Book: The Glimpse by Claire Merle

I was quite apprehensive about reading this book as it is a dystopia where people are segregated by their mental health status, which I thought was quite a sensitive topic.

Unfortunately I don't think that reading it was worth it, I found that the writing and the pacing were difficult to read at times, and not because of the sensitive topic, and the plot a little bit clunky.

The characters seemed to lack a real depth of emotion, though I guess that this could be because of the emotion controlled state. But they also seemed to be a little inconsistent, such as Ana's father, at some points he appears to genuinely care for her and at others he seems to not.

Ana herself is just what you expect from a dystopian protagonist, she doesn't question much at the beginning and then starts to question more and more as the book progresses. But, more than any other teenage protagonist of a dystopia, she seems to be too much of a teenage girl, there is very little will to fight back unless someone else was encouraging her or pushing her forward.

One thing I did like was the slight variation on the love triangle, its not really there. Ana knows who she wants more or less from the word go, and makes her choice clear to just about everyone. And this really does highlight the difference between duty and love.

Overall I don't think I'll be reading the sequel (yet to be released) any time soon. This book is different, and though I struggled to really get into it, other people may really enjoy it.