Thursday, 11 April 2013

Book: The Selection by Kiera Cass

And the Selection Novella: The Prince.

It may surprise you to know that I have read a book (and its related novella) that is not a fantasy novel (though I also re-read the Other Boleyn Girl). This book is a dystopia, though one that is not nearly so depressing as some dystopias I have read (1984 and Never Let Me Go being two of the most depressing).

I saw that this book is described as being in between the Hunger Games and the TV show The Bachelor, and I must admit that that description is correct in my mind. It is set 300 years in the future, not that you would know as many of the things mentioned are the same as today, and there is a caste system in place which is highly restrictive. Royalty has been reestablished all over the world, and there is a reality tv-like contest that results in a bride for a country's Prince. America (the name of the main character) is picked for this show and meets Maxon, and trys to forget her previous love, Aspen.

Like Katniss in the Hunger Games, America has the right amount of confused feelings towards the men in her life and what to do about them, and it is something that I am sure every teenage girl can relate to! But, though a lot of the focus is on the dresses and the nice food/parties, there is an underlying sense that everything is not well in the country, and that there are many more dangers than America knows about, and that definately adds another depth to the story.

The novella, the Prince, demonstrates the unfairness of the system for the Royal children, which is unusual in a dystopia as protagonists tend to be low down the scale, but I found that it in no way detracts from Maxon's character and how he comes accross in the Selection itself.

The second book of this trilogy, The Elite, is being released soon, and I honestly can't wait to read it, I think things will gain more depth and the story will develop much further.

If you are a fan of dystopian fiction then I would recommend this book to you.