Sunday, 19 May 2013

Book: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Lena lives in the future USA, when love has been classified as a disease and everyone is 'cured' at  18 so that they never fall in love. Lena is counting down the days until her procedure when she meets Alex, and falls in love. As she starts to feel things that are taught are illnesses she starts to question the society around her.

This is another book that I chose to read because it kept being recommended to me, but I had previously dismissed it because of the blurb. I'm glad that I didn't listen to myself originally! I really enjoyed this book.

Something pretty refreshing for a dystopian novel was that there was no love triangle (though in a society that 'cures' love that shouldn't be too surprising really!), though Lena is very naive about it, in her view Alex is completely god-like, without a flaw, which is frustrating as a reader because everyone has flaws, but at the same time it is understandable, and actually a sign of good characterisation for Lena, she is after all a teenage girl and that is how any teenage girl would be in that situation.

As I mentioned already, Alex was far from my favourite character, I'm not too sure why but there was just something about him. Lena and Hanna had a good dynamic between them, it felt like their friendship was real, it really seemed like there was a life time of things behind the relationship.

I found that it was good for the expansion of the dystopian setting that there were quotes at the beginning of each chapter. Some of them were simple children's rhymes, some was the scientific things about the disease called love, and some banned quotes etc. Without those I think that the dystopian society wouldn't be as concrete in the reader's mind, as we'd only know what Lena knows, which ultimately wouldn't be as much.

There were a couple of twists in the story, the first of which I didn't see coming until a couple of sentances before the reveal, and the second one right at the end, I saw something similar happening but without the finality that it did happen with, all it leaves me with is questions about how Lena will move on from the events in Delirium.