Thursday, 9 May 2013

Book: Divergent by Veronica Roth

I was a little sceptical about this book at first, the blurb didn't actually sound like something that necessarily appealed to me, though I am glad to say that I was proved wrong through reading this. The reason I chose to read it was that it seemed to come up everywhere being recommended to me.

It still seems a little strange to me that humans would split themselves up and identify themselves by one trait, it seems contrary to human nature almost, but I guess that is the whole point of Divergent and Tris/Beatrice's story; that you can't be defined through just one of bravery, selflessness, peace, intelligence and honesty, that is not how human nature works.

What I noticed in this book more than in most young adult dystopian fiction is that the issue of sex is handled straight on, its not a kiss that makes the main character feel warm and fuzzy, or something that is presumed to have happened but not actually talked about, it is a real fear of Tris' and she has to face it. Add this to the fact that there was actually no love triangle, and it seemed very different.

I have been left with questions though (which is good ultimately), what on earth is going on outside the city? Why is the city fenced off? Who else is out there? Those are questions that I kind of hope will be answered in the next book (which I will be reading soon worry not!)

I was also very happy to have successfully worked out Four's real name before it was actually revealed! See if you can too!

Though 'Four' and Tris were well written, and well fleshed out, the other 'sideline' characters seemed less so, with the possible exception of Peter, who is, quite frankly, a maniac. Christina and Will both seemed to be so changeable, there was no concrete centre to their friendship with Tris, making them less real to me, in real life people aren't quite so fickle, well some are but not all. Uriah just seemed to be there to make Tris look accepted into her faction, showing that she isn't an outsider, again his depth has yet to be revealed. Eric and Jeanine (the 'bad guys') similarly seem to have less depth, they're just seen as evil and manipulative, there's no real information about what motivates them, other than power.

I realise that the above probably makes it sound like I didn't like the book, but that is completely wrong! I really enjoyed it and will be reading the next one, I just hope that the other characters will gain a deeper sense of being so that they fit better with the story.