Thursday, 20 June 2013

Children's Book: Zodiacts Aries Adventure Camp on Camping On by Donna McGarry

Review given with the help of my 4 year old brother, Alex. We were given a copy of Zodiacts; Aries Adventure Camp on Camping On by the author in exchange for a review.

Alex's response was that he liked it, when asked which part he liked he said all of it (and then ran off to find some marbles).



From an adult perspective, I found that the rhythm of the story flowed really well, and the rhymes were also consistent, which made reading it easy. However I did notice that once or twice there were some words that I would personally consider to be too complicated or complex for children to understand. Though this could just be as Alex is 4, rather than the 5 to 8 that the author recommends this book for, but I would say cause of the language I would recommend this for the upper ages of the age range.

The pictures themselves were simple, which is a good thing in children's books, you don't want there to be too much going on, however in some cases they did look a bit squashed (though that could have just been the way that we were reading/viewing it, and is probably different in the printed edition (we reviewed a PDF version on my computer).

I would recommend this for the children towards the top end of McGarry's recommended age, and if you're looking for a book to read to your children, this is an easy one to read for adults.