Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Serial: Setting Sail by Zachary Bonelli

Part 1 of the Voyage Embarkation Serial.

Kal has been trapped on an alternative version of Earth where the life forms include cats the size of elephants, but he's determined to leave and to do so has to use his nanotechnology to break codes and travel to other alternative worlds. But as Kal discovers, there are rules to travelling the universe and he will have to be careful not to rip holes in the fabric of the universe.



This is the first time that I have read a serial, and so I wasn't too sure what to expect (and bombarded the poor author with questions about it). I will admit to being slightly surprised that there was very little difference between the start of a classic style novel, and the start of a serial, though I have only read the first part of this serial and so it is difficult to make any serious comparisons.

Despite the short length of the serial volume, it is clear that the author has really thought about his world building, and how his character has learnt things over the time that he has bene trapped on the world of Felis. This is particularly shown (in my opinion) through the way he described the elephant sized cats acting, like traditional house cats, wary at first but then growing in trust and devotion.

I found that the prologue really drew me in and started off the questions in my head about where the story would go, to be completely honest I don't actually understand completely what the prologue was about, but I am hoping that it will become clearer in time.

The one issue that I had with the serial volume really was the use of technical language. There was a lot of words that I knew where to do with physics and astronomy and parallel universe theories, but I don't understand them any better than that, and that's with having studied a GCSE in astronomy! On the other, I can't see how the author could have avoided using this language as it is a necessary part of the plot.

I must admit, I am looking forward to reading volume 2!