Monday, 26 August 2013

Book: The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle de Jour

This review will make frequent mentions of sex and sexual activities (as could be expected from the well known book title!)

Based on her popular blog, The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl (also known under slightly different names) chronicles the diaries of Belle in her day-to-day life as a call girl, while still traversing her own love life, and of course her sex life too! The book is written in diary format and includes Belle's A to Z of life as a Call Girl.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

This is one of those books that I have wanted to read for quite a long time, especially since I watched the TV show a couple of years ago. Despite being an age old profession, prostitution is not something that is widely known about, or at least the ins and outs of it aren't (bad pun fully intended there!).

The sex parts of this book (so more or less all of it really!) weren't what I expected, though what that was I'm not too sure! The descriptions just didn't come across as massively sexy, and unless you're a nymphomaniac (unlikely) then I highly doubt that reading this book would be a turn on. Despite the certain level of unsexiness, it was interesting to read, particularly about some of the stranger fantasies of the clients (and of Belle to be fair). Whenever Belle mentions sex (most of the book), she was frank, clear and engaging (easy to see how she was a successful blogger), and it was clear that she was writing about something that she enjoys doing, making the distinction between this autobiographical book and those of erotic fiction.

Despite what I have written above, I would not recommend that anyone young or particularly innocent should read this (I'm not naive enough, nor far enough out of my teens, to say that it is strictly 18+ though) and neither should people who are easily freaked out by sex more shocking than oral. There are referances to 'standard' sex, oral, anal, bondage, BDSM, threesomes, girl-on-girl, violence (the 'good' kind apparently), and defecation (that last one is definitely not for the faint hearted, I see myself as fairly open mind out and that one had me slightly disgusted at the description of it), among others.

I found that Belle's writing style was incredibly easy to read, she was concise and to the point in all of her entries, and, even more importantly, she was funny. There were moments when I couldn't help but laugh out loud! I'm not normally a fan of autobiographies, or biographies for that matter, but the aforementioned factors, and the interesting subject, meant that I enjoyed reading The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl, in a completely non-sexual way I promise!!!!

On a side note, and as something I don't usually comment on much, the cover is awesome! It would probably have attracted me even if I didn't know what the book was (unusually  I read this book in physical form), it manages to be classy, sexy and sophisticated all at the same time.

I'd recommend this book, its is an interesting, enjoyable and funny read!