Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Book: Jaxon Prayer by Rachel West

I received a copy of Jaxon Prayer from the author in exchange for my honest review.

Evie lives in the slums of Haven, and one day she unwittingly rescues a member of the upper class, the Millennials, from a violent mugging. Several weeks later the Millennial, called Jaxon, reappears asking to stay at Evie's apartment. She says that he can on the condition that he helps her to rescue her sister, Annie, who was taken to one of the prison farms when she was ten years old. He agrees and the two of them set out on their adventure, along with Evie's friend and self-appointed protector, Red.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I really, really enjoyed Jaxon Prayer, and the ending simultaneously made me want to shout 'NO!' and 'GIVE ME MORE!'. The story had a fairly slow start but it became more and more fast paced the closer it got to the end, in fact it felt like the last couple of chapters flew by in the blink of an eye.

To say this book fits perfectly into the young adult dystopia category, I am pleased to announce that there is, as of yet, no love triangle. Or at least there isn't in Evie's mind. I can't work out what Red's intentions are towards the heroine, but there is something about him that my head does not like, and I'm not convinced that that has anything to do with any possible relationship with Evie.

In contrast, the relationship between Evie and Jaxon is brilliantly written, you have Evie, a girl from the slums who knows more about the horrors of life than anyone should, and Jaxon, the privileged Millennial who knows that the regime is bad but has never had to face it or do anything about it until now. It sounds like it shouldn't work, and yet it does. Though nothing physical ever happens between Evie and Jaxon, there is definitely an attraction that builds up between them, and a chemistry that shouldn't be able to exist between two fictional characters. There are several moments when I just wanted to yell at my kindle and tell them that they should just kiss, not that that would ever work, but I'm really hoping to see more of the two of them interacting in future books.

The dystopia itself has left me with lots of questions, though it is explained how the Great Uniter came into power, it was never fully explained about the war or exactly how the class system works. There are also a lot of questions that I have about Evie's time in the Hollows and they include what she did that she is so ashamed over. I have a feeling that it could be important later in the story.

I thought that the characterisation of Evie was really good. She always stuck to her principles throughout the story, even when it would have been easier for her to ignore them. Also it is clear that her trust is hard gained and easy lost, meaning that it took her a large portion of the book to start to trust Jaxon, which is a good thing as it would have been unrealistic to expect her to trust her at first sight.

I really enjoyed Jaxon Prayer and will definitely be reading any sequels!