Friday, 4 October 2013

Blog Tour: Dressed in White by Jessica Gibson

I received a copy of Dressed in White in exchange for my review as a part of this blog tour. Lorelei is looking forward to the day that Dillon asks her to marry him, and when he does, she is over the moon! But her happiness is short lived when it is revealed that Dillon i
s already married to Estella, who has come back from Spain after disappearing for 4 years. Just as each problem is resolved for the couple, another seems to arise, pushing Dillon and Lorelei to their limits. Will Lorelei manage to walk down the aisle dressed in white, or will it all be too much for the couple?

The reason that I wanted to do this blog tour is because I was reflecting on how different the books that I choose are from the films I like to watch (unless a film is based on a book a like, I tend to unashamedly watch chick flicks!). And if I'd read the blurb of Dressed in White on a film, then I would have wanted to watch it. So logic says why not try reading it as a book, no harm in trying, right?

I'm glad I did! The other book I have on the go at the moment is Burial Rites by Hannah Kent (I'm reading on request of my Dad who wants to know if he'll enjoy it or not), and that is quite a serious book, so to be able to relax with a lighthearted book like Dressed in White and disappear into Lorelei and Dillon's world was just what I needed really! After all, like with chick flicks, you can tell from the beginning that in the end the heroine will be happy!

Though overall I would say that Dressed in White is light hearted, there were some more serious notes and themes, such as Estella and her son Ben, as well as Kayla (Lorelei's sister) and her ex-boyfriend. Which meant that the book wasn't pure romantic 'fluff' (for want of a better word!) There was certainly enough substance for me to keep wanting to read on with this book!

Mentioning more serious topics, there are scenes of a sexual nature throughout Dressed in White (to some extent it seemed that sex was the answer to all Dillon and Lorelei's problems), though I don't think that I would describe them as explicit, probably about on par with what you would find in a film rated 15 (In England that is, not sure what other countries' equivalents are, but here 15 means age 15.)

For me, Lorelei was an easy character to relate to in some ways. A slightly silly one being that when characters shortened her name to 'Lor' it sounds the same as when my family shortens my name (Laura goes to what I presume is spelled 'Lau', not sure I've ever seen it written!). But mostly it is because, at some point, most girls have imagined their wedding, and what it woulds be like, which gives an instant connection to wedding centric Lorelei!

A fun read, with some serious parts, but ultimately a chick flick of a book!


Dressed In White

 Lorelei Peters had everything she had ever dreamed of. Amazing friends, a sexy boyfriend, and a job that she absolutely loved. Dillon Brockwell was all she had ever wanted. Handsome, successful, and he loved her as much as she loved him. Life was going along the way it was supposed to, until someone from Dillon’s past shows up and shatters everything to pieces. Can Lorelei and Dillon get through all the craziness and make it down the aisle? Or will lies of omission be enough to derail them forever.

 Purchase on Amazon - Kindle / Paperback 

Follow on Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads / Literary Addicts

About Jessica Gibson

Jessica Gibson is a recovering bookaholic, she's down from four books a week to a more reasonable one. It was that love of words and creativity that made her dream about writing her first book. That dream was hidden for years, always put on the back burner, filed away in the "someday" section, until her husband Matt gave her the kick in the pants she needed to actually get off her butt and write. Jessica and Matt live in Southern California and have a serious addiction to reality tv shows like Pawn Stars and American Restoration. They have one son and hope to add to the family in the near future. 

Follow the Book Tour