Monday, 7 October 2013

Book: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Book  of The Mortal Instruments.

Clary Fray thought she was a normal girl, and then she went out with her friend Simon to a club and is instantly drawn to a trio of Demon Hunters, Alec, Isabelle and Jace. The next evening Clary gets a call from her mother telling her not to come home, contrary to her mother's wishes she does, and that is when she kills her first demon, leaving her badly wounded. Lucky for her, Shadowhunter Jace was instantly drawn to her and is able to take her to the Instiute where Hodge is able to patch her up. Under much scrutiny it is decided that one, or both, of Clary's parents must have been Shadowhunters for her to be able to see inhabitants of the Downworld, which include creatures such as vampires, werewolves, fairies, elves and other mythical creatures. But all is not well, as Valentine, an Shadowhunter who went rogue and wanted to kill all the Downworlders is back, and he's looking for his wife thinking she has the mortal cup. With her mother missing and a mental block on her mind, Clary needs all the help that she can get.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Wow, I can't believe it has taken me this long to pick up this book! It is brilliant. Though I am normally wary of paranormal type fiction, City of Bones, really drew me in and kept wanting me to turn the pages. The story is fast paced, but allows enough time for things about characters to be explained and introduced properly. Worth warning anyone put off by thick books, this one is over 400 pages long (took me about a day and a half to read, well with work and other things I had to do).

As can be expected in this genre, there is a love triangle. You have Jace and Simon both wanting the attention of Clary, but to be honest I think its pretty clear early on which she has her eye on. Simon has been in love with her for ten years, but Jace is sexy and broody but has a good sense of humour, its obvious which she'll go for, and I'm right behind her there!! There was something about Simon that I just didn't like, maybe because he seemed to think that Clary would automatically fall into his arms. Unlike most other books in this genre though, there is mention of a gay character, which is refreshing to see as normally it isn't mentioned at all, and even less often are they afforded love interests and relationships.

I thought that the way in which Clary grew throughout City of Bones was realistic and you could see her growing stronger and braver, making some hard decisions, sometimes in a quick thinking moment. Though she could act fast, she also did stop and think about some things, and in general she stopped and listened before lashing out.

There was a major twist in City of Bones, there were two scenarios that I thought could happen, and what I didn't expect was for them both to turn out to be the correct guesses, particularly because of the consequences for the characters, and I really must say I hope that the doubt in my mind over the truth of the twist is justified! For the characters sake if not my own!

The narrative really flowed, it was fast paced, packed with description and characterisation, this was partly helped by the fact that the third person narrative wasn't limited to one view point. I wish I had picked this book up sooner, so don't make my mistake!!!


The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare