Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Children's Book: Where Do I Live? by Kristine Duehl

I received a copy of Where Do I Live? from netgalley in exchange for my review.

As Where Do I Live? is a children's book, I reviewed it with the help of my little brother, who is 4 (shortly 5).

Where Do I Live? starts by giving a range of environments in which animals can live and then proceeds to ask where the reader thinks each animal lives. The five environments are:
1. The Tundra
2. Water
3. The Dessert
4. The Forrest
5. Grasslands
There are five animals which are to be matched to the environments and they are:
1. Cheetah
2. Whale
3. Fennec Fox
4. Arctic Rabbit
5. Skunk
After asking where the reader thinks each animal lives, Where Do I Live? contains information on the animal and the environment.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Alex's verdict:

Good, it was good, I liked it. (Read in the voice of a 4 year old)!

Laura's verdict:

Elaborating on Alex's statement, we sat down and read this book together, and we read the whole book, which means two things, the first is that Alex was in the right frame of mind to read it, and second was that he enjoyed it enough not to walk away. Saying that he was turning the pages on my kindle which he seems to think is fun. Alex seemed to really enjoy the questions that meant he was interacting with what was written in the book. Almost every page had a question for children to think about and answer, which is part of what I think kept him so interested.

One thing I did notice was that some of the language was did border on a little bit specific (there were even certain words that I wasn't 100% sure of the meaning of), and complicated, which was in contrast with the simple style and layout of the book. But saying that there was a glossary at the back of the book that did explain any specific terms in a simple way.

Where Do I Live? is a good book for getting children to think and interact with what was written on the page, though I would recommend reading it somewhere that provides colour illustrations (my kindle is the classic so is black and white), it is a good read for children!