Thursday, 14 November 2013

Book: Locked Within by Paul Anthony Shortt

I received a copy of Locked Within as a part of the Silent Oath book blast posted on October 18th, in exchange for my review.

Nathan lives with his girlfriend and works a desk job while secretly following odd crimes and giving tips to the police. On this occasion though, Nathan is drawn in far further than before, and he learns that the New York he thinks he knew is not the New York that really exists. A Soul Eater is on the lose, killing victims to sustain it, and while trying to destroy it, Nathan has to come to terms with the existence of vampires, witches, necromancers and other reborn like himself.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I don't normally read books in which the main protagonist is male, as I feel that it puts an automatic barrier up between me and the character, but I did enjoy Nathan's story. (Then again, how many books haven't I enjoyed in reality! You're probably looking on one hand!)

This is much more action based than emotions based and that leads to a fast paced read that really keeps you turning pages, you just want to know how Nathan gets out of each fix he lands in. Saying that there were emotional moments, including issues between Nathan and his girlfriend, Laura, as well as things relating to his dad.

The paranormal element of reborns was really interesting. It works based on the idea of reincarnation, and being a new born, Nathan remembers parts of his past lives, which is in part what enables him to solve the mystery. I've not really read much based on reincarnation, so the fact that this book focused on it was really interesting, and I am looking forward to reading more about Nathan's past lives.

In fact, one of his past lives helped me get past the male protagonist, in the form of Katherine. As she played an important role in the unraveling of the plot, I got to read a female perspective, which Shortt has managed to portray particularly well. And this was probably aided by the fact that Katherine was of the kick ass variety of heroine!

Though its review will be posted first, I am very much looking forward to reading the next book, Silent Oath!