Friday, 20 December 2013

Blog Tour: The Book of Shade by K C Finn

I received an advanced reading copy of The Book of Shade in exchange for my review.

Lily is just starting university, studying Modern History. Her aims are simple, to make friends, find a cute guy and to do well. Well she manages the first two, though not quite in the way that she expected, though she also didn't expect to be told that she was a Shade, or a paranormal being. Just when she thinks that she is getting the hang of the double life, her world is shattered by the revelation that there are such a thing as Shadehunters, and they could be out to kill her.

Firstly, not too sure what I was really expecting to think about this book, but I absolutely loved it! Not that I don't like many books (think of how often I say I loved it and its clear it has to be terrible for me to not enjoy it!).

Also, I would like to say how refreshing it was to read a book set in an English University, as opposed to an American college...and a book set in the North (though not too keen on the Lancashire-ness, for some reason the rivalry between it and Yorkshire has never disappeared...and I'm Yorkshire born and bred!) Though I must say I was a bit disappointed in the idea that in their first term Freshers try their best to do well, trust me when I say that that isn't really true! Most of them spend most of their first term (and year) drunk...or at least my friends did!) But other than that I thought that it was a realistic portrayal of the University experience. Well apart from the magic of course!

I don't think I've ever read of a magic system like the one that Finn created in The Book of Shade, though there was mention of the 'classic' paranormal creatures, Shades took the centre stage. And Shades were interesting, especially through their control of the elements. I also found the idea of Kindred spirits to be really interesting, and I am excited to see what the future of that lore could be!

The only other thing I really think I need to say is about the character Novel. At the beginning I really didn't like him, and even when Lily started to trust him, I still didn't, but by the end I found that actually I really really liked him as a character! I can't think of another character that has ever grown on me quite so much as that.

A unique story, full of surprises, and well worth a read! I hope there is going to be more from Lily and Novel!



The Book of Shade
Author: K.C. Finn
Release Date: 12/13/13

Synopsis:
The Book of Shade - Synopsis
Lily Coltrane’s to-do list for starting university life is pretty simple:
1. Make friends
2. Meet a cute guy
3. Survive her first year in Modern History
In the little English town of Piketon this seems more than achievable, so much so that Lily even joins The Illustrious Minds Literary Society, an extra-curricular club that promises a truly unique social experience. What Lily doesn’t bank on are the Society’s monthly visits to the mysterious Theatre Imaginique at the edge of town, a dark venue that houses the most obscure cavalcade of carnival performers she has ever laid eyes on.
Stranger still is the emergence of the theatre’s enigmatic proprietor Lemarick Novel, a stupendous showman with a frosty wit who never seems to smile, and who raises a plethora of questions in Lily’s fearful mind. How does he levitate with no sign of wires or mirrors? How do the lightning bolts that shoot from his hands look so real? And why, of all the people in the theatre, do his pale eyes keep locking on hers?
The answers to this and more lie buried in heritage and blood. The Book of Shade is opening, and Lily Coltrane will read it, whether she wants to or not.

___


AUTHOR BIO
Born in South Wales to Raymond and Jennifer Finn, Kimberley Charlotte Elisabeth Finn (known to readers as K.C., otherwise it'd be too much of a mouthful) was one of those corny little kids who always wanted to be a writer. She was also incredibly stubborn, and so has finally achieved that dream in 2013 with the release of her first two novellas in the four-part Caecilius Rex saga.
As a sufferer with the medical condition M.E./C.F.S., Kim works part time as a private tutor and a teacher of creative writing, devoting the remainder of her time to writing novels and studying for an MA in Education and Linguistics.
----

LINKS:
Smashwords, Author Page:
Smashwords, Book Page:
Goodreads, Author Page:
Goodreads, Book page:
Amazon:
Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/TheBookofShade


If you want to check out K C Finn's release party then you can get 50% off the retail price of The Book of Shade just by attending!  https://www.facebook.com/events/241451109347140/?source=1