Monday, 16 December 2013

Book: Dirty Pleasures by Melody Snow Monroe

I received a copy of Dirty Pleasures from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Ceci has been traumatised by her ex-boyfriend's death, causing her to have OCD and a desire for order in her life. But there is one thing that makes her think she doesn't need too much control, or rather two, Gabe and Dylan. Having been her protectors during the previous inquest, though neither of them dared lay a hand on her they both became captivated by the strong and determined woman Ceci is. Reluctant to form any emotional attachments to the two men, all of that is swept away when she sees their softer side, as well as when they teach her new things in the bedroom.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Dirty Pleasures contains scenes of a sexual nature including what could be termed as alternative lifestyles. I thought that the concept of a whole town that was sexually liberal was an interesting concept, though I think that it lacks some realism.

I was actually particularly surprised by the depths of romance this book went to. I read it as a part of giving all genres a chance, and actually I am glad I did. In many books authors just seem to forget about the story and focus on the sex, however in this case that wasn't the case. There was actually quite a large focus on the romance and the romantic gestures that the two men did towards Ceci, which makes a refreshing change.

I liked Ceci as a character, she was complex, as you would expect someone recovering from trauma to be, and I thought that the author actually captured her recovery in a realistic and interesting way.

Overall this book surprised me, I didn't expect it to be as well written or engaging as it was.