Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Book: The Impaler's Revenge by Ioana Visan

I received a copy of The Impaler's Revenge from the author.

Liana is a member of the Little Council, the group that keeps the only vampire free country in the World, Romania, vampire free. But one day she is ordered to look after vampire, Max, whilst he is visiting Romania on 'business'. Whilst collecting blood for Max from the hospital, Liana meets Jesse, who quickly gets caught up in the drama surrounding Liana and Max. To get to the bottom of what is going on, Liana has to learn some uncomfortable truths, and make some decisions that she doesn't really want to make.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

This is not the same kind of story as most modern vampire books seem to tell. Liana and Max don't share any romantic interactions, and nor did they particularly seem to want to. And to be completely honest, that was actually remarkably refreshing. Though I am partial to vampire romances at times, I do like to mix things up, and considering that one of my favourite classics is Dracula, then something in between is a good thing!

And this book had something major going for it in my opinion; the political elements. I've said time and time again that I enjoy reading books where the characters are involved in political issues, and Liana was basically a politician with a stake attached!

I did get slightly confused as to whether the fact that vampires existed was common knowledge or not at the beginning, and I'm still not entirely sure. Though there were a couple of comments that back up that it was common knowledge, namely Jesse's story about his sister and Liana's mention of the journalists knowing from his eyes in their photos.

There were some interesting interpretations of vampire lore in The Impaler's Revenge, including the fact that Liana's blood is poisonous. I am definitely intrigued to find out more! I actually got completely and utterly sucked into this book, around the point of the Black and White ball you couldn't have dragged me out! I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen next!