Thursday, 12 December 2013

Book: Mine to Tarnish by Janeal Falor

I received a copy of Mine to Tarnish from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Having been tested for magic, and revealed to have a stronger magical potential than anticipated, Katherine is sold to a powerful warlock, Nigel. When finally faced with the man that now owns her, Katherine decides that she has been owned for far too long. With the help of her mother she escapes to the countryside where she meets a tarnished man, Charles, who helps her get away. But Nigel isn't going to let her go that easily and Charles and Katherine are forced to run for their lives with only their wits about them.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

What attracted me to this book in the first place was the dystopian qualities that the blurb seemed to promise, that women were seen as inferior and are bought and sold, as well as the fact that tarnished are worth even less than that. What I didn't expect was those elements to be so developed along with the rest of the story. There is magic, the characters and the rest of it. Over all it was a very balanced story.

I loved Katherine as a character, she had spirit even though she lived in a world where she wasn't allowed any. She was a strong and independent character who wanted to go out and grab what she wanted. This meant that not only was she the kind of female character that I love to read about, but if she was a real person I would say that she would be a fantastic role model!

There was an attraction between Katherine and Charles that was there as an undercurrent to the story, but was nowhere near central to it, making this different from a lot of other young adult books that I have read, in a good way! Though it wasn't the centre piece, the romance was still there and that keeps me happy!

My last note is how beautiful the cover is! Absolutely love it. This was such a good read, and I'm looking forward to reading more from the series!