Thursday, 26 December 2013

Serial: Long Live the Queen by Zachary Bonelli

I received a copy of Long Live the Queen, episode 7 in the +Insomnium serial, from the author.

Now that Gin has been reunited with Nel and Rev, the trio embark once more to discover how to get away from Nowhere, which has once more raised the question of whether they want to leave at all. After the shocking discoveries about Gin's past in the previous episode, Ego Altered, it comes as no surprise when Gin must fight her demons in the Monarch's Ward, which they must search for to gain access to the metaphysical.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Firstly, may I just say how amazing the cover is! The cover on my review copy was the one for Ego Altered for some reason, so the first time I saw the cover was when I just looked up Long Live the Queen on Goodreads. Is it just me, or does the cover remind you of the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland? And I would like to know if that was intentional! Particularly with the Monarch quoting her famous line "Off with her head!"

This episode was particularly focused on Gin, and I think that you found out much more about her as a character than previously. You got to see the effect that her little sister's death had upon her, as well as the thoughts that were going round her head regarding loving people, particularly Nel.

I think that of all of the characters are strong now, and are a lot stronger than the word count should allow! Basically meaning that Bonelli is particularly skilled at building his characters! As well as worlds, particularly as the different wards of Nowhere have all been unique and interestingly thought of.

I've been giving some thought to what Nowhere actually is, who is dreaming it and what not...and I can tell you that basically I am absolutely stumped! Personally I don't think it is a dream in the traditional sense, and I do believe that all three of the central characters (and Drogl I should probably add) are all real people and are actually 'there', where ever there turns out to be!