Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Serial: Sugar Over the Devil by Zachary Bonelli

I received a copy of Sugar Over the Devil from the author in exchange for my review. This is episode 4 of the +Insomnium serial.

Still determined to find a way out of Nowhere, Gin, Nel and Rev set out in search of the Usurper who is said to have taken the place of one of the governors, the Wizened. Setting off through a forest they are attacked by zombie like creatures and saved by a man claiming to be the usurped Wizened. They promise him help after he tells them there is information in his library that could help them get home. But things aren't always as simple as they seem.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Once again I have finished one of Bonelli's episodes with the feeling that I really enjoyed it, and that I just want to carry on with the serial! (Though at this moment I could only get as far as episode 7 anyway!)

This episode seemed to focus and introduce Drogl more than he has been in the past, and it seems to me that he is becoming quite the antagonist in the plot, despite the fact that his goals at the moment do appear to be the same as the others and yet he goes about it in a much less moral way.

What interested me was something that Drogl said about him being able to leave whereas the others were too much a part of a group to be able to. I thought it was interesting especially with the burgeoning feelings between Gin and Nel, and I'm starting to wonder if there may be more to that statement, and if it is possible for them all to return to the same place but not separate ones. (I'm concocting theories now apparently!)

If you are yet to discover Bonelli's worlds and stories then you are missing out!