Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Serial: Taken by Marita A Hansen

Taken is episode 1 of My Masters' Nightmare. I received a copy in exchange for my review.

Rita is an FBI agent with a vendetta. With her husband killed 6 months ago by the Italian Mafia, Rita goes undercover to try and crack their human slave ring. But Rita didn't expect for her assignment to be so difficult. On the other side of the coin, Jagger is intrigued with his latest slave, Rita, normally he goes for blonde women, but there is something about this strong brunette that makes him want her.

As the description suggests, there are intense themes in My Masters' Nightmare, including the themes of rape, human trafficking and degradation. I've seen this book described as dark erotica, though personally I would disagree and put it more in the suspense category, though maybe that's just my viewpoint of sex in books. Also, I don't particularly enjoy the idea of reading about someone being forced into sex, its more interesting to me to read about how the character reacts as a person to the hand that life has dealt them...or at least I think that makes sense!

I can tell from the first episode that I am going to like Rita, she's a strong woman, who is determined to fulfill her brief, and I'm interested to learn more about her as a person.

What did surprise me slightly was the split viewpoint between Rita and Jagger. I expected Rita's parts, but as soon as Jagger's point of view was there I was surprised. I never thought that I would feel sorry for someone that forces other people into slavery, and yet I did. Slightly odd that one!