Friday, 13 December 2013

Serial: Trial by Water by Zachary Bonelli

Trial by Water is the third episode of the +Insomnium serial. I received a copy of Trial by Water from the author in exchange for my review.

With Rev and Gin having been arrested, Nel travels with them to the place of their trial, determined to get them free if anything. He is sent to see Iggy who advises him on what will happen when faced with the charges and helps Nel to sort out the mess he is in.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Sorry for the short summary, but I didn't want to spoil any of Trial by Water by revealing any more!

In Trial by Water Bonelli has returned to one of the things that he does best, world building. Whenever I read a new one of his worlds I find myself sucked into it and imagining it in rich detail. It takes real talent to paint such a vivid setting in so few words! This was one of the most interesting settings that I think I have read from Bonelli, and is unique to all the others as the entire thing is set under water. Though at face value this could have potential issues, even they are dealt with in a way that doesn't feel rushed.

The romance between Gin and Nel is growing slightly too, though it is still in the stage of shy glances and thoughts, there is definitely something between them, and throughout this episode I found myself hoping that they manage to find a way to be together despite the fact they are from different earths. I was actually getting quite worked up about the idea that they may wake up in different places!

Once again there is a vivid world, with interesting characters and a unique writing style that really drew me in and left me excited for the next episode!