Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Book: Nightlife New York by Travis Luedke

I received a free copy of Nightlife New York.

Aaron has a pretty ordinary life, living with his best friend, just split up from his ex and trying to just get along with life. That is until he is in the wrong place at the wrong time and he gets shot saving Michelle from two corrupt cops. Because of this, Michelle breaks her own rule; no making new vampires. Waking up to his new life, Aaron has a lot to learn, and he learns quickly, at the same time as falling head over heels in love with Michelle. But can Michelle accept her love for him? And can that save them from the vindictive officers that are after them.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I've had this book on my (metaphorical) to read list for quite a while, and having now read it, I wish I had read it earlier!

When I read a vampire based book, I'm always on the look out for something different about it, that sets it apart from all the other vampire books that are out there. It seems slightly strange to write this but reading a book where vampires are actually allergic to the sunlight has actually been pretty different! Nowadays a lot of vampires seem to be able to come out during the day!

There was also quite a bit of emphasis on the master/slave relationship between a vampire and his/her sire (in this case Aaron and Michelle respectively), and the ways in which the bond can be exploited. If she so wanted, Michelle could command Aaron to do anything and he would have to do it. This piece of lore means that quite a bit of plot time is given to Michelle coming to terms with her role as master and how not to abuse it.

One thing that I particularly liked about this book was that it showed vampires as dangerous. Not dangerous as in simply showing what they can do to an overly trusting human, but rip your throat out dangerous. And if you ask me, there isn't enough of that in current vampire literature.

My last not is just about language, there is quite a bit of French used throughout the book, and through that doesn't annoy me in the slightest (I've read books completely in French before), but I realise that some people may find this frustrating.

I really enjoyed Nightlife New York, and now I have yet more books to be added to my to read list!