Saturday, 29 March 2014

Book: My Life From Hell by Tellulah Darling

I received a copy of My Life From Hell, the third book in The Blooming Goddess Trilogy from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Knowing that she has to save the world and doing it are two completely different things for Sophie Bloom. With her relationship with Kai hanging by a thread after it was revealed that while a Goddess, Persephone had planned on betraying Kyrillos, their chemistry still sizzles, but they just haven't talked about it yet. And to make things worse, she has to crawl back to Demeter, the mother who betrayed her. Moments before she agrees to give Demeter the power she wanted before, Sophie backs out and ends up in the one place that she never thought she would be again.

Link to Goodreads

WOW. That is how I would sum up My Life From Hell in one word. I wasn't too sure what to expect from the finale, other than many laugh aloud moments and some serious action, but the way this story turns around just kept suprising me over and over. Once I had picked it up, I had to keep reading, I couldn't put it down at all.

Up until this book I had always been a tad confused about the difference between Kai and Kyrillos (they are the same person after all) but this book really brought out the differences between them, and they very clearly are different men, with different aims and retirements. It was also really interesting to see the true dynamic between Kyrillos and Persephone, which was very VERY different from what you are led to believe from the lovey dovey nonsense the other Gods have said about them.

It was also very interesting to see who Persephone really was. Up until know she's just been about in the memories of Sophie, and in what people have told her, and at the end of the last book she came across as having been a bit of a witch with a B. But My Life From Hell brought her out of the shadows, and the complexities of her character were shown, and you actually started to feel for her. On top of that the dynamic between Sophie and Persephone (again the same person...well kind of) changed, going from outright distaste to a kind of understanding.

The whole trilogy has proven to be a perfect balance of humourous moments, action, tense moments where you really do wonder how characters will escape, romance, friendship and adventure. I don't think there is anyway that I could fault it...well apart from one, I really want more from all of the characters! Particularly because I am curious as to what will happen with the mortal-immortal relationships...please give us more!