Sunday, 6 April 2014

Book: Red Riding Hood by Carly Carson

I received a copy of Red Riding Hood from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

In Red's village it is tradition that on a girl's sixteenth birthday she chooses a man with which to spend her life. A few days before her birthday, Red meets Wolf on the way to Granny's house and he begins his wily plot to get her to choose him. But the boys in the village don't like the idea of an outsider stealing away the most beautiful girl in the village and are set against Wolf...even if Granny approves.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Wolf wasn't exactly what I was expecting. When I read the synopsis I expected a strong domineering character, and I guess in a way he was, but at the same time there seemed to be quite a bit of respect from him, for both Red herself and for the village's customs, which he refused to break (i.e. refused to have sex with Red before she was 16).

Red also wasn't quite what I expected. Part of the synopsis gave the impression that she liked the boys' attention, and though that was true, the way it sounded made me think that she was enjoying more than just the looks and occasional kisses. I think that the differences from what I expected the two main characters to be like actually made the book much more enjoyable.

Red Riding Hood as the story itself actually kept quite closely to the original, though Wolf was human and didn't eat anyone, nor did Granny die. But if you took away the names of the characters you would still be able to recognise the story as that of Little Red Riding Hood.

I'll admit to being surprised by this tale. And as a quick fairytale read it is worth a look up.