Sunday, 13 July 2014

Book: Wasteland Renegades by Kristene Perron & Joshua Simpson

I received a copy of Wasteland Renegades, book 2 of the Warpworld series.

Seg and Ama have returned from her world to his and have to face the consequences of the massive raid that Seg just carried out. Catapulted to fame, Seg is even more in the public eye than before and he has more enemies emerging from the woodwork. Ama hates Seg's world and the limited place that she has in it, and Seg finds himself questioning more about his world because of how the woman he loves is treated. Meanwhile Fismar begins to train the fifty Kenda warriors that Seg brought back with him, making them into raiders for Seg. All the while forces move against them that could end all their plans for good.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

NO! I don't want it to end! Not there at least! The ending very much reflected the rest of the book, an emotional roller coaster and too complex to even begin to explain. I read the first book, Warp World a while back and absolutely loved it but wanted to be able to give serious time to Wasteland Renegades rather than reading it between uni assignments, and I'm glad that I did that even if it did mean I had to wait to read it. The story just consumed me totally and I found that I couldn't stop thinking about the plot, the characters and the settings.

Ama and Seg are still the central characters, though there are several other characters that moved into more central roles from the sidelines, namely Shan, Fismar and Viren. Seg and Ama's relationship changed as well. Whereas before there was more of an equality to it, in this book there was the added issue of Ama technically being considered Seg's property and her utter refusal to accept that fact (and rightly so). Due to no fault of either of them really there were some highly emotional moments caused by this. Most notably when Ama was in 'processing' which was probably the hardest part of the book to read because of the impact it had on both Ama and Seg. 

The other thing I kept wanting for the pair of them was to get time alone, in private, but every time they actually seemed to get what I wanted it didn't go how I imagined. Not necessarily in a bad way, some of their private reunions were incredibly sweet, sometimes functional and always an adventure, but not quite what I expected.

I really really liked the budding friendship between Ama and Shan. There was an abundance of male characters in this book due to circumstance (though quite a few of the top political characters were female so its nothing to do with not believing women are capable) which meant that the 'girl time' spent with Ama and Shan was appreciated. It was also interesting seeing Shan warm to Ama as a person and changing her outlook towards Outers and becoming less prejudiced. 

And then there was the action! There was no shortage of that in the book, whether it was the Kenda fighting on the ground, Ama's fight for her identity, Shan's aerial fights or Seg's frequent chase sequences (he was the one being chased), the pace of this book just kept delivering and was rewarding at the same time. 

This book was amazing, the characters are so complex and detailed that you can't help but feel for them emotionally, and you can't help but want everything to work out for them, and yet it doesn't, or at least not in the perfect and happy ever after way, but instead in a way that makes it seem like it could be real (you know apart from the sci-fi setting. 

This is definitely a series that I want to read more from! I feel too invested in the characters and the plot, and Seg and Ama's goal not to want to! Plus the book was well written and didn't have a dull moment! And I haven't even touched on a handful of the characters! 

Read as a part of the Summer COYER...to check out other posts and sign up click here. You can also check out my COYER Summer page on my blog to see what I've read!