Saturday, 2 August 2014

Book: Gerard's Beauty by Marie Hall

Gerard was caught with his trousers around his ankles...with the daughter of Cinderella and Prince Charming, and now he's in big trouble. His fairy Godmother, Danika, has her work cut out for her. Not only does she have to try to save him, but she has to find him his mate within a year. Realising that the only way to save him is by saying that he is mating, she banishes Gerard to earth until the hearing is over, and sends him almost straight into Betty's arms. Though quiet librarian Betty is wary of Gerard at first she can't help but be drawn to him and want him as her own. When the sentencing arrives, Gerard is given one month to prove that Betty is his mated, and to make things more difficult the head Fairy unmans him until Betty loves him.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'm going to start with the only thing that I didn't like about this book (because then I can go all positive about what I did like!) and even then dislike is maybe not the right word...frustrate would maybe be a better one. What frustrated me was some of the French, and the fact that some of it wasn't grammatically correct (it made sense, it was just things like when referring to a woman it should be ma not mon, unless the following word started with a vowel, then its always mon). So basically...something most readers probably won't be fussed about or even notice (but you know, the French degree has to be used somewhere!)

So now the minor niggle is out of the way...minor because actually it didn't stop me enjoying the book...

I really liked the fact that the characters couldn't have sex. It led to a very different type of relationship than those that are typically got in books today and I found that I liked it. There was truly a sense of the characters getting to know each other; their likes and dislikes as well as their eccentricities. It meant that two characters I wasn't quite sure would work together in the beginning actually worked really well. Plus there was still crazy chemistry between Betty and Gerard!

Gerard's Beauty is the second book in the series, and as such it offered far more characterisation than the first book, Her Mad Hatter, though I enjoyed both, I very much enjoyed seeing the characters being expanded upon more in this book, and it made me especially interested to see what happens with Wolf.

There was also more about the fairies in this book, though there is still a lot of mysteries surrounding them, fairies other than Danika play a roll in this book and I found that it left me wanting to know more about how their politics and legal system work.

Another thing was the moving scenes which involved a child with learning disabilities, in this case Betty's nephew. Both Betty and Gerard were amazingly good with him and it actually led to a moment of vulnerability on Gerard's behalf which made him become far more human, and more likable rather than just a bit of a play boy.

Two books in and I am loving this series, definitely keen to read more!

Read as a part of the Summer COYER...to check out other posts and sign up click here. You can also check out my COYER Summer page on my blog to see what I've read!