Friday, 15 August 2014

Book: Marine For Hire by Tawna Fenske

I received a copy of Marine For Hire from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Sam's a marine, the very last thing that Sheri needs in her life having sworn off military men after her husband abandoned her and her twin boys. But Sheri's brother, Mac, has other ideas, namely about wanting to keep her safe, and the best way to do that is for him to hire her a bodyguard, though she can't know. Sam soon becomes a live in manny (male nanny) for Sheri and her twin boys Jeffery and Jackson, and finds himself battling against dirty nappies and baby feeds rather than enemy targets. But there's something else brewing as well, and both Sam and Sheri keep trying to fight the attraction between them only to act on it and then find it all the harder to avoid...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Firstly this book had me laughing aloud at several points. Actually several doesn't do it justice. Whether it was the banter between Sheri and Sam, the dry humour from several of the characters, or Sheri accidentally speaking aloud (the brothers/pubic hair comparison being my favourite;
""There's no shortage of male role models in these kids; lives," Sheri snapped. "I have more brothers than pubic hairs, though right about now I'm thinking one less would be great." She froze as though replaying her last words in her mind and not liking the sound of them. "Less brothers not -""
Most worrying thing is that part of the reason I found it so funny was because it is exactly the kind of thing that I'd do, as in say something without meaning to! I also liked Sheri a lot. She was the right balance between emotion and spunk, and to me I think that just spelled out a well rounded female character. As she pointed out to herself, she didn't need a man, but she wanted one.

I also really liked Sam as a character. He was particularly interesting because on the surface he was more or less a typical military alpha male, and yet when the story got going it became clearer and clearer that he not only had a sentimental side, but also that he felt at ease in many situations that fictional Marine characters don't seem to feel. I.e. he would talk about his feelings, and had no problem admitting what Sheri meant to him.

Another thing that I really liked about this book was the role that the twins played. I actually felt that the author managed to give them their own personalities, which was good as many authors do forget that when writing children into the storyline, but also they played a big role in showing the reader who Sam really was. It was really good seeing a male character interact that way with kids, I think that it sends off a good message.

If you asked me if there was anything wrong with this book then I couldn't pin point it. It just hit the spot well and truly! A great read!



Read as a part of the Summer COYER...to check out other posts and sign up click here. You can also check out my COYER Summer page on my blog to see what I've read!