Thursday, 18 September 2014

Book: Burning Desire by G L Ross

I received a copy of Burning Desire, sequel to Turbulent Passion, in exchange for my review.

Watching the plane carrying the love of his life crash was almost too much for Lance, but when he finds out that Lisa's survived he refuses to leave her side. While Lisa lies in a stress induced coma her loved ones flock to her, and find out the secret she hadn't even told Lance; that she's pregnant. Waking up becomes all the more confusing when it becomes apparent that she has no memory of anything recent. Including no memories of her best friend, Lucy, or even Lance. Though devastated that she doesn't know him, Lance is determined to make her remember, or make her fall in love with him again, which isn't as difficult as he first thinks when it becomes clear that even if her mind has forgotten him, her body certainly hasn't. 

Link to Goodreads 
Link to amazon

NO! It can't end like that!!! The events at the end of book 1 were bad enough to make me desperately want to read book 2, and it seems the same can be said for the third book. I need it and I need it now! I found myself on the edge of my seat while reading about Lisa and Lance this time, not because of any physical drama, but because of the emotions and difficulties they were having. My heart was really going out to poor Lance, that can't have been easy for him to deal with. 

Of all the directions that I saw the consequences of the accident going, I don't think that that chain of events actually featured. I thought that maybe Lisa might lose the baby and have to deal with that emotionally, but I didn't see her losing her memory, and ultimately gaining a new personality. I think that it will be interesting going forward to see what happens when the 'old Lisa' and the 'new Lisa' merge and how that will work. I have hope, because I do like Lisa and Lance as a couple. 

Lance has made a dramatic change from the previous book, and his attitudes. Meeting Lisa had curbed a lot of his playboy attitude anyway, but almost losing her changed him completely, so in this book he was considerate and sweet, even when he was being bossy. At the same time though I couldn't help but think that he was being rather naive about his relationship with Lisa. He was expecting it to all be fine because he loved her, but hadn't quite considered that she no longer knew him. When he did figure it out though he just got that bit sweeter. 

Lisa was far more outgoing and adventurous in this book, mainly because of her memory loss, and my main thought about that is wondering how this will reflect with the 'real' Lisa, which will be interesting to read for sure. I liked this side of her, it was more playful and added a lot to the story, though I do want the old Lisa back just a bit! She's a strong character, and that hasn't changed thankfully! 

The point of view switches between Lance and Lisa, as well as a few POVs from Lucy and Mrs. Price (Lisa's mother). I thought that worked well and really gave an insight into what the characters were thinking. I thought that the author captured Lance's optimism, and Lisa's confusion, well and that it really made them feel real. The writing style itself flowed well, and I thought that it had improved a lot from the first book (which flowed less well, it was the story that made that one a winner for me). 

I enjoyed Burning Desire, I thought it added to the previous story and it definitely made me want to read the next one! I barely put the book down unless I had to! 


G.L. Ross Bio & Links

G.L. Ross is a proud, sixth generation, native Texan. As a true Southern Belle, G.L. has always dreamt of the “happily ever after,” the prince riding in on the white horse sweeping her off her feet. She hasn’t found “Prince Charming” – yet (always an optimist) – but finds him every time she writes about her characters’ “happily ever after” endings.
Her motto in life is to “always find the good” in every person and situation. Whether through laughter, prayer, music, or a glass of wine or vodka, G.L. finds the good in life and shares her sense of humor, love, and adventure in her stories. Take flight with Lance & Lisa in Turbulent Passion, and continue their turbulent journey in Burning Desire, book two in the Flyboy Trilogy.

Twitter: @GayleL4
Website: www.GLRoss.com


Chapter One

Lance

Fear and shock devastate my system as I helplessly watch the unsteady plane, carrying my reason for living, slam on to the landing strip, erupting in a ball of blazing fire. My heart slams against my aching chest. I scream at the top of my lungs, “L…I…S…A…!”
 Dropping to my knees, I watch the International Air plane break apart and disintegrate. Through a hazy, smoke-filled fog I catatonically watch the fire trucks and ambulances lurch into service. Tears tumble down my cheeks. Shock numbs my system, but unfortunately not my breaking heart. I finally opened my heart to someone God and I’ll be damned if you are going to take her from me now. “Lisa,” I mumble. “God, please save Lisa.”
A burst of wind whips across the tarmac parting the expanding black, gray, and white smoke. Through the opening I discover one area where the plane split apart and people are visible. I jump to my feet as hope lurches through my senses. People! I see living, breathing people! People are stumbling out of the ripped-apart metal shell. An adrenaline surge pushes me toward the blazing mass of steel hollering, “Lisa! Baby, I’m here. Lisa, come to me. Please, Lisa, please come to me.”
Still far from the landing strip my steps are halted and blocked by police, paramedics, and firemen. “Sir, you cannot enter the accident site,” a policeman orders.
“I can help. I can help her. She’s in there,” I beg the uniformed men. Desperately I search their eyes for understanding. Come on, guys, if the love of your life was in there you would run toward the damn inferno, also.
“Sir, please back up and allow us to do our jobs.”
My hands grip the collar of the policeman’s shirt while shouting in his face, “Lisa is in there, and so help me God I am going to her.” Several hands wrap around my appendages, preventing my progress toward the plane, the fire, the love of my life.
Behind me I hear a rational voice. The voice of my first officer. “Let them do their job, Lance.”
Through clenched, reluctant teeth, I relent. “Fine. Let go of me.” Numerous hands relinquish my arms as I continue, “But, I’m staying here, right here. I am not going back inside the airport. Do you hear me? I am not leaving her.”
In an extremely irritable tone, the officer orders, “Okay, but stay out of the way.”
The paramedics and firemen rush by us carrying injured, burned bodies. The bodies are marked with colors displaying their order of importance regarding injuries. Importance? Isn’t all life important? I understand it is their importance of immediate medical attention, but still…
My mind struggles to wrap around the severity of the injuries passing by my frozen, shell-shocked frame. Flashes of my time in Afghanistan soar in front of my eyes. “Please God, save her,” I whisper. “I need her. Our life together has only just begun don’t take her from me now, not yet. It’s not her time. It’s our time to be together, damn it! We deserve a chance.”
“Lisa,” I bellow. “Come to me, baby.” Under my breath I mutter, “Don’t be a hero, Lisa. Save yourself. Save me, from a meaningless life, a life without you. There’s no reason for me to exist without you.” Tears cloud my vision of the metallic war zone, prior to tumbling down my cheeks.