Saturday, 4 October 2014

Book: Big Girls Do It Better by Jasinda Wilder

Anna Devine knows that she's not the skinniest girl around, and she knows that men sometimes think she's easy because of it. Then Chase comes onto the scene, handsome and talented Anna doesn't think that he could possibly want a girl like her. But Chase is determined to prove to her that he does, and they Anna starts to crack, letting him show her what she's really worth.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Or I guess that's kind of the idea anyway...personally not sure I got it. This book's been sitting on my kindle for a while because I thought the concept was refreshing when I read the blurb, then Michelle at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life gave it a bad review. Talking to her she said I should read it to see if she'd missed anything, like the something that made this book amazing. She didn't.

At the start of the book I thought the concept was good, and actually while the book started I thought I saw potential for the main character to gain some self confidence and not just because of a man. But the thing was she never really learnt that, instead it was more she got a multiple orgasm and suddenly she was amazing. No growth in confidence, just a switch, and I really didn't buy it.

There was also the 'relationship' between Chase and Anna, and I say 'relationship' because it wasn't one at all. Rather it was two characters meeting, and a week later were having amazing sex and thinking that they could love each other. But they had only seen each other once in that week...I'm not buying it. On top of that I really didn't buy into the emotions from the two of them at all. Every time they were together they'd been drinking and hadn't really got to know each other at all. There was no way I would buy into the sex being more than sex.

Parking the lack of character development, and the lack of relationship for a second. This book is classed as erotica, which I have no problem with. Except that the sex was one of the dullest sex scenes I've read in any book, there wasn't actually any excitement to it, instead it was flat and boring.

I actually genuinely think that Big Girls Do It Better is sending out the wrong message. It isn't telling larger women to love themselves no matter what (because they should) instead it seems to be telling them that its ok to just wait around because some guy will come along and suddenly it will be ok. No it won't be, life doesn't work like that.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this book, I don't normally write negative reviews, but in this case I feel I have to. Maybe the series gets better, I don't know, but what I do know is that I won't be reading the rest of them.