Monday, 3 November 2014

Book: The Dragon's Queen by Michelle M Pillow

I received a copy of The Dragon's Queen in exchange for my review.

Mede is unusual; the only female dragon shifter on the planet. And the male dragons around her never let her forget. With proposals happening at every opportunity, Mede smashes the crystal that will tell her who her true mate is. But the Gods aren't to be messed with, and even if she refuses to play along, Mede will end up with the right dragon. Prince Llyr knows in his gut that Mede is his true wife, but instead of forcing that upon her, he becomes her friend and her lover, building the relationship between them. Meanwhile the enemies of the dragonshifting Draig, the catshifting Var, are plotting, and with their prince, Attor slowly becoming more and more determined to have Mede as his wife, things are tense.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'll be totally honest, it took me a while to get properly into The Dragon's Queen, though I don't think that had anything to do with the book, and was more the mood that I was in (I switched books and when I came back to The Dragon's Queen I had no problem getting back into it). When I was in the right mood the story, and the characters dragged me in and I couldn't help but get swept up into their world.

Mede was the kind of character I love. An independent woman who didn't need or want a man for protection. In fact this went as far as her wanting to protect her man. I thought it was refreshing to see this so well pulled off, and to have the male characters around her acting like she was the same as them. Of course it probably helps if you can shift into a dragon.

I loved Llyr. I wasn't too sure at first, mainly because I wasn't sure about Attor at that point, but everything that Llyr did just ended up endearing him to me. The fact that he actually thought about how Mede would react to a forced mating and then took all the steps possible to make her actually like him. Their relationship was sweet and passionate and I really felt they belonged together.

Attor though...I liked him at first but with every chapter about him I disliked him more and more. I thought that the author did a fantastic job of demonstrating his insanity and that carried through to the reader.

I got really immersed into the world of The Dragon's Queen, and can't wait to find out more about their customs and practices!