Sunday, 30 November 2014

Book: Mine to Keep by Denise Rossetti

I received a copy of Mine to Keep from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Before heading out on the ES Siren, Alanna Sanderson, known as Sandy, found a man to celebrate her promotion. The last person she expected to see several months later was the same man in prisoner yellow. Paul deWitt can't forget the night he spent with Alanna, but dreads running into her again. When the ES Sprite suffers damage they both end up in the crew sorting out the chaos that happens in the aftermath. With prisoners rioting, and the stores on the ship at risk, they have to move quickly. But events don't go the way anyone planned, and Paul ends up surprising everyone, especially himself.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

It didn't take me long to crack open the next installement in the ES Siren series, not that I thought it would, and I can't help but think that Mine to Keep is my favourite so far. There were several things that set it apart from the other books, including the fact that part of the setting was on one of the other ships, the ES Sprite (and I've said from the beginning that I wanted to see more of the other two ships), the fact that there was more action of the fighting kind, and that the heroine (and hero for that matter) were older than previously.

Alanna, or Sandy (she's referred to as both in the book, but only Paul actually calls her Alanna), is a strong female character but actually lacks the jadedness that sometimes affects older female characters, which I greatly appreciated. She felt like just a woman, albeit a very talented one who has worked her way to the top, and that made her likeable. In her 40s, she's older than most romance heroines and that I really liked, it made a change.

Paul was a con man, pure and simple. But he was one of those that only scammed those that could, and should, afford it, so in a way he was looking quite a good character, though he made a few relationship mistakes...they just made him human though. There was also more of prisoner's daily life seen through Paul's eyes which was both interesting and kind of worrying in the fact that it was a definite class divide.

I really felt that the relationship between Alanna and Paul, there was growing emotion as well as sex. And add to that the fact that the relationship grew after the sex, it just felt believable, rather than insta-love (which if you read my reviews regularly you'll know I really don't like). Plus the chemistry between them, even when they were just talking could be felt from the page.

I did feel that this book gave the best view of the bigger things going on in the mission to Solitaire and I'm looking forward to finding out more!