Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Book: No Weddings by Kat Bastion & Stone Bastion

I received a copy of No Weddings from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Cade has a rule when his sisters and he set up an events business; no weddings. Having been hurt in the past by a woman that he loved Cade has done everything possible to protect his heart, until he meets Hannah. At their first meeting Hannah gave off an Ice Queen exterior, but as Cade gets to know her (as part of the Invitation Only Events team) he starts to realise that there is much more to her. While both Cade and Hannah have fronts to protect themselves, they both find those facades crumbling as they learn to trust each other, and with the intense attraction they both feel, they can't deny that there may be something between them.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I think I found a new series that I'm going to end up falling in love with. I finished No Weddings yesterday (well not actually yesterday considering my review schedule, but yesterday as I am writing) and I haven't been able to think about anything else since, I just want to pick up book 2 and get stuck in (which I can't because of various commitments) though I will definitely be getting around to it soon!

I was a little apprehensive when I realised that it was a first person male narrative, mainly because I've always felt it puts up an automatic barrier between me and the character, but I found the story, and Cade's sense of humour, made it easy reading and I soon forgot the apprhension and found that I really enjoyed it.

The relationship between Cade and Hannah is complicated to say the least, and I loved that, it made it seem much more real. Between them there was a definite attraction, as well as a real friendship. Though Cade frequently admitted that he was attracted to her he still respected her and waited until she was ok with the kiss. The building of the friendship between them, the trust that grew and the intense attraction were definitely what made this book believable and so enjoyable.

The banter though! That was the best part of Hannah and Cade's relationship. Hannah would come out with very witty one liners, and Cade wasn't bad either. My favourite parts of this were when the two of them were texting and you could really believe the flirtatiousness between them.

I can't find fault with No Weddings, and I'm looking forward to continueing the series!