Saturday, 8 November 2014

Book: Twitter Girl by Nic Tatano

I received a copy of Twitter Girl from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Cassidy Shae is a well known and liked reporter, until one tweet took it too far and she got fired. Jobless, single and living with her brother, it looks like Cassidy has no prospects, until she is offered a job for Will Becker's campaign to be President. Being paid to be snarky and sarcastic is a dream come true for Cassidy, and even better is that the USA's most eligable bachelor, and presidential candidate, Will Becker, seems to be interested in her. While sending her tweets, Cassidy works side by side with Tyler, a man that she can't help but see as cute and wants to talk to all the time. But who is it that really holds Cassidy's heart? And will the reporter in her win out over the lovestruck woman?

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Wow. That was one hell of a book. I barely put it down, and even when I did it was only because I had to. Twitter Girl was easy to read and had me laughing aloud in several places (though there was one unfortunate moment where I wanted to bang my head against a brick wall. Last I checked Prince William married Kate Middleton - we got an extra bank holiday for it and everything - not Prince Andrew...that would just be a bit creepy, but I did let that slide). There were a couple of scenes that felt a bit similar in my eyes, though it wasn't enough to change my enjoyment of the book really (though I'm sure it would be even better if they weren't there).

The plot basically followed a Presidential election process (or at least the first part of it) and I thought that it did this well, to the extent that I understood what was going on (not being from the US I don't know the first thing about American politics. Saying that my understanding of UK politics is actually second to my knowledge about the French political system...try working that one out!) so some of the terms I just didn't get, but again this didn't actually stop me enjoying the book, and I thought that the majority of the political elements were explained.

The romantic part of the story was certainly interesting. There was no 'one guy' policy that a lot of writers have, instead Cassidy went on dates with several men (though in Tyler's case she didn't really seem to notice that they were dates) and had aspirations of becoming Will Becker's other half, and why wouldn't she, on paper he was perfect. Thing was as the story progressed it became more and more clear that Will wasn't perfect, and there was something off about him in the first place. I actually spent most of the book cheering on Tyler and hoping that Cassidy would realise how wonderful he was and how perfect for her!

The mystery of the 'something wrong' with Will Becker was definitely interesting. It was only a passing mention in the first part of the book, though once Cassidy had really got into the fact that she needed to investigate it there was nothing that could stop her. I must say that didn't go the way that I expected it to, and definitely changed the opinion I had of Will Becker (which wasn't all that great to begin with).

This is a fun read, the snarky comments made by Cassidy on both twitter and in person make reading funny as well as easy, and with a little less repetition towards the end, this book would be even better!