Thursday, 25 December 2014

Book: Bah, Humbug! by Heather Horrocks

MERRY CHRISTMAS (Yes I decided a review of a Christmas novella on Christmas Day was the best way to go!)

Having just moved to the neighbourhood, Alexis Anderson doesn't know that her next door neighbour is none other than Kyle Miller, her children's favourite author. When Kyle decapitates her Snowman, she becomes determined to fix his Christmas spirit, and in a few short days ingrains himself into Lexi's life. Kyle never expected that anyone would be able to get through his shell, but Lexi and her children seem to have something about them that he can't resist...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

The COYER facebook group strikes again, as this was recommended to me during a conversation about Christmas books, which I'll be honest, I haven't read many of and neither do I plan to (holiday themed books aren't really my thing!) But I did decide that I should give this one a go, after all it was free and Christmassy!

Having read Bah, Humbug! there's not really all that much to say, it is a short fluffy read, with a fairytale ending, and admittedly sometimes that is what you want from a book. There's no pretenses about how this would end and I was in the mood for that when I read it. However I can't help but feel like the ending was too fairy tale like for me, especially considering that the events of the book take place over a period of days.

I liked the ever so slight twist on a Christmas Carol, with Kyle playing Scrooge, though it was quickly got over and the story progressed. I was actually kind of surprised to discover that the author had included a quite emotional conversation between the various characters, that gave the book more depth than I had been expecting.

A very light fluffy read, and if that's what you're looking for this holiday, then Bah, Humbug! will provide!

Bah, Humbug! counts towards Winter COYER