Thursday, 18 December 2014

Book: Delirium by Susan Kaye Quinn

I received a copy of Delirium from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Lirium is a debt collector; when someone's expenses cost more than their future productivity they are taken out, their life force drained to be given to someone else, someone with a greater ability to contribute to society. Lirium hates what he does, drowning it out in sex and alcohol, but when Elena turns up at his apartment pretending to be a sex worker, he does something he never thought to do; give a mercy hit. Mercy hits are illegal for a reason, a reason that Lirium has just discovered...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Delirium is one of those books that I've had for a while and kept meaning to read...well now I have, and I loved it! The story dragged me in from the first page and really made me want to know more, even though only little bits were given away at the time. At the end of the book I was left feeling kind of satisfied but massively curious, about both Lirium and Elena.

There were very few characters in Delirium which I think worked very well, there was Lirium himself (though he did give shot glasses personalities in his head), Elena and then her sister Tilly. There were a couple of other people (the person whose debt Lirium collected and the man who received the hit). This did mean that more time was given to expanding the characters, and in this case particularly Lirium, though I do think the surface has only just been scratched in his case.

I thought that the way that debt collecting worked, and the laws surrounding it, were well thought out. With books like this there has to be well thought out culture or they don't work, and in this case that culture was there. I still want to know more about it, but as an introduction and as something to get you interested, this really does the job!

I'm intrigued by Elena too, and wonder what affect she's going to have on Lirium, not to mention I'm intrigued by Lirium too...actually scratch that, I'm intrigued by the whole concept!