Sunday, 7 December 2014

Book: Forecast by Rinda Elliott

I received a copy of Forecast in exchange for my review.

Coral Lockwood is the middle of three triplets each with a Norn inside them (the Norse version of the fates). With the ability to stop time and make predictions, the sisters have always been close, but  now that Raganorak (the end of the World) is upon them they are apart for the first time trying to find the warriers that may end up killing them. As soon as Coral meets Taran she knows that he's the one that she's looking for, but someone is framing him for assault using the hammer his mother gave him. Having grown up being told that he had the soul of a God inside him, Taran easily accepts what Coral is saying, though that doesn't mean that their path is any easier...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

This is the second book in the Sisters of Fate series and I will admit to being a little worried that because the girls are triplets there was a risk that they'd end up the same. I was also slightly concerned because the books were happening kind of at the same time (there's a slight delay I think) so it was whether there'd be a repeat of bits of information. In fact I thought that both issues didn't really exist, I believed Coral as a person in her own right, and not just an extension of Raven, and thought that the information didn't seem to be repeated.

I was glad that the author pulled this off. As well as having to have Coral realise some of the things that the reader already knew from Raven's story, she learnt more, particularly about their parentage, meaning that more became clear to the reader and that this wasn't the same story as the previous book.

I really liked Taran as a character. A fairly big deal was made about Thor (his God Soul) not being particularly smart, or being about much apart from brute strength. However Taran was very different, and towards Coral he was all out sweet, and I definitely liked that. I thought they worked well together because Coral was known as the sweetest sister as well, though I do think Raven and Kat underestimated her massively, and she could take care of herself much better than anyone thought.

Like her sisters (I have started Foresworn already so can say that!) Coral had a slight obssession with the 'his hand to the death of the Norn' part of the prophecy, saying that one of their warriors would kill one of the triplets. I think I've got a theory about this (though I'm going to keep quiet about what it is) particularly because the determination of the triplets (well Coral and Raven) that all three of them will get through this alive, is something they all have in common.

The pace of Forecast was faster than Foretold, which tied in with the end of the world getting worse, and I can say that I am somewhat excited to see where the ending goes (because so far Foresworn is definitely different from the other two books). This is definitely a series that draws you in!