Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Book: Everlasting by Tmonique Stephens

I received a copy of Everlasting, book 2 of The Descendants of Ra, from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Detective Alexis Lever's career is in tatters after her numerous mess ups on the Village Strangler case, and the only thing she is certain of is the strange dreams that she's been having of her dream man. Now faced with her reality, Alexis fights the attraction she has for Reign, the brother of the man she knows is hiding something. Reign has survived two milenia of servitudes to Nephthys, the Goddess of Death, believing that his brother is dead and that he has no salvation. Now faced with the knowledge that his brother still lives, Reign has to save him, but doesn't count on the forces that tether him to the fiery detective, Alexis.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I thought book 1 of The Descendants of Ra was good, but Everlasting drew me in even more than the previous book did, which surprised me considering that I was slightly concerned that this book would end up simply being a bit of a repeat of the previous one. I was incrediably happy when I discovered that that wasn't the case though!

I loved the way that the events overlapped slightly, and that Everlasting gave a look into events from Eternity from a different perspective, and that it introduces events and scenes from Evermore as well (which I had started to read before writing this review and am thouroughly enjoying). The way it interweaves works well but does allow for even more intrigue between the various characters.

I like the way that the Gods (of Egyptian origin mainly) are given personalities and agendas and are ultimately allowed to be characters in their own right rather than just deities. At first I wasn't too sure about the 'bad guy' element to some of the Gods, namely Anubis and Set (though Nephthys to some extent as well, though her evil was more through lust and jealousy than the fun of it) because it is my understanding that the Egyptians didn't see any of their Gods as bad, but rather they just existed. However I thought it worked for the story.

There was more depth given to the mythology surrounding the characters as well. I thought it was especially interesting how it seemed that some of it took on a Greek aspect, most notably the existance of demi-Gods, and thought that that actually worked well alongside the previously established mythology.

And somewhere in all that I seemed to have completely forgotten to mention the characters! How unusual for me! There was definite chemistry between Alexis and Reign, and they gave a token effort not to give in but ultimately were lying to themselves about it! But they worked well as individiual characters as well, each working well together.

Everlasting counts towards Winter COYER & 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge.