Monday, 19 January 2015

Book: Freak of Nature by Julia Crane

I received a copy of Freak of Nature from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Kaitlyn is one of a kind, when she checked the 'donate to science' box she never expected to be given a second life, nor that that second life would be one where she was half robotics, and yet, her she is. The team of scientists behind her don't think that Kaitlyn has any emotions or human feeling left, and yet, hidden well, are those very emotions. Having become friends with Quess, and harbouring feelings for one of the scientists, Lucas, Kaitlyn's life is not what anyone expected.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'm not too sure what to make of Freak of Nature, there were a lot of parts that I enjoyed, actually I enjoyed most of the book, but there was just something about it that didn't make it stand out for me, and I can't quite put my finger on what that is, which actually kind of frustrates me.

I'd say that Freak of Nature probably falls somewhere between mature young adult and new adult audience wise, there are a fair few moments where Kaitlyn thinks about Lucas (well and Lucas thinks about Kaitlyn) with desire and sex on the brain, though nothing is described on page. This is also taking into consideration how Kaitlyn died, and I think some of the impact could be lost on younger readers.

I liked the friendship between Kaitlyn and Quess, I thought it allowed for Kaitlyn to be herself, even if that was just a little bit awkward because she couldn't understand everything she was being told. The friendship did feel natural, and not forced, like two girls coming together because there is no one else which I do believe would happen.

The relationship between Kaitlyn and Lucas was another thing. I did like how Lucas called her Kate instead of Kaitlyn, and how he wasn't put off by her 'upgrades'. Their relationship had a sweet edge to it, even if Kaitlyn had the urge to 'rip of Lucas' clothing' (she said so several times). But after all that there's something I couldn't put my finger on in their relationship that made it seem a bit stilted, but then again maybe that was just me.

The ending worked for me as a stand alone or a series, personally I don't think I'm intrigued enough yet to pick up the sequel (though give it a few days and I may change my mind) but there were parts of it that maybe seemed a bit neat. I'm still confused by how I feel about this book. I enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me and there were bits that made me a bit underwhelmed.

Freak of Nature counts towards Winter COYER, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, Bookish Resolutions & 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge.