Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Book: The Guardians by Mandy M Roth

Title: The Guardians
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Copy
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Release Date: 1st December 2007
Challenges: Winter COYER 
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Madelyn has never been normal. As a Guardian she spends her time protecting humanity from the evil members of the supernatural society. As far as she is aware, her best friend Brady knows she isn't totally human but no more than that, or at least that's what she thinks. Brady soon makes a revelation that changes everything that she thought she knew and causes secrets to spill out at an alarming rate...

I absolutely loved this book! The Guardians was one of those that dragged me in from the first page and just made me want to keep reading until the absolute end! And the ending wasn't anything that I would have expected either, and though it is a stand alone title I can't help but want more!

I loved the interactions between the various characters. Not just the romantic leads, but the other characters in the book as well. There was no such thing as a straight forward relationship in The Guardians and that worked really well when it came to the dynamics between characters.

The relationship between Brady and Madelyn was really well done, both capturing the frienship between them, and the story changing into a more romantic and physical attraction. I also really liked the fact that though The Guardians worked on the concept of fated mates, it didn't feel forced and Brady in particular was convinced that Maddy should make the choice herself.

I'd struggle to fault The Guardians if I'm honest! Maddy was a strong female lead, who wouldn't let the men tell her what was what, though actually, they may have joked about it but I would doubt if any of the male characters would actually have stopped her doing what she wanted! It was nice to have alpha male characters who didn't act quite so alpha male ish all the time!

Defintiely one I'd recommend!