Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Book: Ever Darkening by Janeal Falor

Title: Ever Darkening
Author: Janeal Falor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 28th January 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Kaylyn's whole purpose in life has been to defeat evil. But now she's done that things aren't quite right still. Fetched to a village close to their own where darkness is over taking things, Kaylyn tries to figure out what is going on along with her friends. With her feelings for Jorrin growing, despite her best friend Marsa also having feelings for him, Kaylyn has to decide what the best thing to do for her people is.

First in a really weird twist, for some reason it's taken me nearly 2 months to finish Ever Darkening. I'm not too sure why that is, but I kept picking it up reading a bit and putting it down again. I enjoyed the story, but there was something missing I think. Partly I do think I was just a bit confused in a few places.

The ending was certainly interesting, it kind of made me think a bit of a circle, but it does also make me wonder how the problem would have come about in the first place as I'm assuming that not everyone in the world is a good person. But I did think that it was unique, and thaat the whole concept of itself was unique.

For the most part I liked Kaylyn, but there were times when she frustrated me a bit as a character. It was clear she liked Jorrin from the start, but for some reason (despite being a strong and brave female lead) she didn't seem to have the courage to do anything about it. Other than a few blips out of character I thought she was well definied, though ultimately she was a steady character and not one that developed a large amount.

I loved the Zombie Sheep. Completely pointless to mention to anyone that hasn't read the book, but they were genius and I loved the fact that the characters also admitted that talking about zombie sheep was weird!

Ever Darkening was a good read, it was enjoyable over all, though I think I did some harm to my enjoyment with not reading it in one go.