Monday, 23 March 2015

Book: Game Play by Lynda Aicher

Title: Game Play
Series: Power Play (#1)
Author: Lynda Aicher
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 16th February 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Dylan Rylie has a reputation, not that it's who he really is, but the world doesn't need to know that. Samantha Yates loves hockey, but as a woman, she has very few places to go now that her college career is over. When Dylan and Samantha meet, sparks fly both on and off the ice, and Dylan knows that Sam could help him improve his game in a way that no one else can. If only he can convince her that they're good together off the ice as well...

Firstly I should say that I don't normally read sports books, and not living in a country where ice hockey is a big deal (when we say Hockey we mean played with a ball on a field) I have very little understanding of the game. The reason I picked up this book to read was because I have loved everything I've read from the author so far, and didn't want to miss out on anything. I'm really glad I did read Game Play though because I really enjoyed it.

Hockey didn't take a back seat to the romance in Game Play, it was too much of who the characters were for that to be possible. But rather hockey was a key part of it. Samantha and Dylan had great chemistry on the ice as well as off it, and that definitely added to it. I also thought that it really helped by portraying them as equals going into the relationship. Taking money out of the equation (because neither of them were actually motivated by it) they were both stand out players, giving them an even footing.

I really liked the fact that most of their relationship wasn't built on physical stuff. When it actually came down to it they didn't get physical with each other that often. In fact it was the banter and the more emotional connection that drove their relationship forward, and that just added to the chemistry and the tension between them. Also their relationship didn't happen all at once, it grew slowly and took time, and I liked that a lot.

I really enjoyed Game Play, I'm certainly glad I didn't avoid it because it was focused on sport! I also really liked the check in with Holden and how there was that tiny crossover to Wicked Play!