Saturday, 14 March 2015

Book: King of Prey by Mandy M Roth

Title: King of Prey
Series: King of Prey (#1)
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Copy
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: 27th May 2014
Challenges: N/A
Links: Amazon - Goodreads

As King of the Buteos Regalis, Kabril has a lot of pressure on him to find his mate and to restart the fertitlity of his race. Forced to earth by his friend and advisor, Sachin, he meets Rayna, and is almost instantly captivated by her despite promising himself no human would hold his interest. Rayna feels that there is something not quite normal about Kabril, but that doesn't stop the feelings that she has for him, or the fact that they just seem to get more intense...

I can't say that I've read many bird shifter books, so I was a little cautious going into King of Prey mainly because I didn't know what to expect. In fact the lore surrounding the bird shifters was interesting and well done, though I do think it worked well because the bird shifters lived on an alternate plane of existance. If the book had been totally set on earth then I don't think it would have been quite so good! Not that I'm complaining, I love a good alternative world!

I loved the fact that though Rayna and Kabril's attraction was instant, it actually took time for the two of them to come together properly. The two of them liked each other, but both felt they should let whatever they had grow, something that definitely worked in this case. I thought it was actually refreshing to have fated mates that weren't insta-together!

I also really liked the friendship between Sachin and Kabril. Quite often it seems that women have good friendships and the men in their life have siblings but no true friendships. Not the case in this book! Instead the two male characters had a good amount of banter going on between them, and there were times when they had me laughing aloud.

King of Prey was a good read, and it seemed to pass by quickly. I'm definitely converted to bird shifters now!