Monday, 30 March 2015

Book: You Are Mine by Janeal Falor

Title: You Are Mine
Series: Mine (#1)
Author: Janeal Falor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian
Release Date: 30th April 2013
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Serena knows that she will always be owned...the only question is by who. At 17 her blood is tested and her father puts her up for sale. Now the possession, and future wife of Thomas, Serena's life is about to change. Until a dual goes badly for Thomas and her ownership is transferred to Zade, a barbarian from another country...

Wow. I can't believe its taken me so long to read You Are Mine, especially considering that I enjoyed Mine to Tarnish, a prequel novella from the same series. You Are Mine dragged me into Serena's world, where things seemed pretty horrific most of the time if I'm honest.

This was primarily a fantasy but I thought that You Are Mine also had several dystopian characteristics. Particularly in the treatment of women. In this case, women were possessions and had to do as their owner (normally their father or husband) commanded. This created an interesting dynamic anyway, especially with Serena being rather out spoken by nature.

I won't lie, I had hoped that Thomas would turn out to be a good guy, but then actually much prefered Zade, both as a good guy and as a love interest. I don't think that Serena quite realised how interested in Zade she was, or how interested he was in her, for most of the book, which meant that this romance was a definite slow burner. It made sure that the other issues in the book were more at the forefront and that made it more enjoyable.

I liked that Serena didn't just assume that Zade would treat her well after the first time Zade didn't punish her. Instead she questioned it and pushed him further and further, exploring the perameters he gave her. This also involved her knowing when to stop and act. Ultimately I thought that both Zade and Serena acted older than their age in this book. But I do think that that worked.

I was a little worried about reading You Are Mine, after not enjoying Ever Darkening quite so much, but I think I was worried for nothing, this book had a great story and great characters, I really enjoyed it.