Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Audiobook: Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Legion
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Narrator: Oliver Wyman
From: Audible
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery
Release Date: 2nd October 2012
Challenges: Bookish Resolutions
Links: Audible - Goodreads - Amazon

Stephen Leeds is a mysterious recluse, who interacts with the many 'aspects' of himself. Depending on his needs he can interact with linguists, scientists, pscychologists or navy Seals. When Monica turns up looking for a theif he works with several of his aspects to solve the crime...

Legion is the first audiobook that I've listened to completely as an audiobook (rather than switching between audio and reading) and may I just say that Oliver Wyman completely made it for me. I can now truely appreciate the awesomeness of audiobooks, whereas before I was still a little undecided. The voices he used for each other characters, and indeed his voice anyway, really added to it and I found that I didn't want to stop listening!

The story itself was pure Sanderson. Completely different to anything else I've ever read and completely captivating in the story. I loved the way that different aspects of Stephen interacted with each other and with the people around Stephen, this went right down to the creation of a new aspect, which really added to the story.

I'll be honest when I picked Legion I didn't actually read the blurb, rather I said to myself 'it's a Brandon Sanderson book, I'll love it' and I was completely right (though it did mean that when the story started I was a bit shocked, partly by the first person narrative and partly by the contemporary ish setting). Its actually made me reconsider a book of Sanderson's that I was slightly reserved about reading.

This wasn't a long audiobook, but it was definitelty entertaining. There were several moments when I laughed (and got funny looks cause I was at the gym at the time!)