Monday, 27 April 2015

Book: Beneath the Surface by M A Stacie

Title: Beneath the Surface
Series: Reluctance (#1)
Author: M A Stacie
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 29th August 2013
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

The last thing Kyran Reese was ready for was Dale Porter walking through his door. Dale is starting a new job as Taylor Reese's assistant, but it is his brother than truely captivates her attention. With the attraction between them string from the off sset they quickly fall into bed, but when their lives start entwining more and more things start to go wrong...not all of those things being within their control.

Beneath the Surface definitely captivated my attention. I liked it simply because it was a messy relationship. There was no easy way out for Kyran and Dale, they really had to work for it. Even better they worked for it over time and wasn't just an instant thing. Seeing their relationship progress over the course of the book made it feel more real.

One thing that went well for Kyran and Dale was the sex, and there was something that I picked up on that I really appreciated because of it's rarity and that was the use of condoms. A lot of the time in romances characters seem to get carried away and forget them, whereas these two actually made a concious decision not to have sex because they didn't have one. And I didn't think that that detracted from the mood of the scenes either.

Though the main focus of the book was on the relationship between Kyran and Dale, there were several side plots going on at the same time. There was complicated families, both Kyran's brother Taylor and Dale's family history, and the drama that went along with that. It added more to their relationship and the story in general.

The secondary characters were well thought out and I found myself liking some of them more than others. Clara I actually really liked, whereas Taylor I didn't and honestly I wasn't all that sure about Trace. Though saying that I do think that my opinion may change in future books.

I really enjoyed Beneath the Surface, it was complicated and realistic and that made it for me!