Thursday, 9 April 2015

Book: Dirty Secrets by Jane O'Reilly

Title: Dirty Secrets
Author: Jane O'Reilly
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance, Erotica
Release Date: 25th February 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Jules has just broken up with her boyfriend, and her confidence is at an all time low. Not fully knowing why, Jules calls Theo, her friend who she hasn't seen since university. Wanting to help; Theo gives Jules a months membership of his exclusive club, one where women are encouraged to explore their fantasies. As Jules begins to explore, she starts to feel herself coming back, though she didn't necessarily expect that to include falling in love.

Well that wasn't quite what I had expected! I've read books by Jane O'Reilly before, and the main thing I can say about them is that they are hot! The focus is more on the sex than anything else, but Dirty Secrets seemed different. There was more of a focus on Jules' journey than on anything else.

I actually found that Jules' story resonated quite a bit, after all it is easy to get worn down by someone else, and in this case it was her ex. But it was the building the confidence back up that I thought worked well. O'Reilly didn't have Jules just magically feel better in herself, but rather it was a very gradual thing and I thought that worked well.

I wasn't expecting Theo's fantasy though! The majority of the book was about Jules discovering hers, but then at the end it is more about Theo's. There were a few hints in hind sight about what he liked, but I do think that they were well hidden and I was taken a bit by surprise by it.

The only character that really got much development was Jules, the men in the story; Theo, John and Dave, were all important but actually peripharal to the rest of the story, which I found both interesting and fitting in this case!