Sunday, 12 April 2015

Book: Huntsman's Prey by Marie Hall

Title: Huntsman's Prey
Series: Kingdom (#7)
Author: Marie Hall
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Fairytale Retelling
Release Date: 11th February 2014
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Danika's fears have come to pass, and Chrysalis' moon curse has come to pass. Now she has only one choice, to enlist the help of the Huntsman, Aeric, to track her down and save her. Aeric hasn't been to Wonderland in years, and is surprised how inept it makes him feel until he runs into Lissa. Lissa has a cat's curiosity about Aeric and he quickly finds himself equally as intrigued.

The first thing that I feel I need to say is hats off to Marie Hall, I thought she captured the spirit of Wonderland perfectly. I know it had been mentioned before in her other books, but in this one I just really noticed it. It was in the little details, and though it was clear that she was making it her own I thought the spirit of the original Wonderland was there.

Now there was a pretty big plot twist, which I started suspecting quite early on (and was happy that I haven't lost my touch with these things!) and I thought that it worked well. It actually took a long time (in terms of the length of the book!) for everything to come to head. One of the things I did wonder though was how things would work out between Chrysalis and Aeric (who were mentioned as being fated early on by Danika) but that all got cleared up!

Whereas most of the Kingdom books can be read as standalone, I really think that Huntsman's Prey is better read after Danika's Surprise and Moon's Flower. (Its also probably better to read Her Mad Hatter first as well for Chrysalis' parents story too!) I liked how the books twined together in this story.

I wasn't too sure how this would tie in with a specific fairy tale until finishing. Other than the fact the book was set in Wonderland (and Chrysalis' parents were Alice and the Hatter) there were some elements of Snow White, but it was defintiely its own story.

I love this series, and I'm looking forward to reading more.