Saturday, 11 April 2015

Book: Mine to Spell by Janeal Falor

Title: Mine to Spell
Series: Mine (#2)
Author: Janeal Falor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, dystopia, romance
Release Date: 5th May 2014
Challenges: 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

After the freeing of her sister, Cynthia should be looking forward to a life like no other woman in the country, and yet her plan is to be sold to another Master to prove that her sister is no different from any other Warlock. What she didn't expect was that her own secrets would make themselves known and she'd end up freeing herself in the process. Now Cynthia is going to make history and do something no woman has ever done before.

I need more of this series! I knew I'd enjoy Mine to Spell after loving the first book in the series, You Are Mine (well and Mine to Tarnish) but it dragged me in even more than I expected it to. I knew that something big would happen with Cynthia, there was just something about her that seemed to point to a big secret, but I didn't see quite what it was coming.

Cynthia was as strong a character as her sister in the book before but in a completely different way. She was a woman in what was very much a man's world, and she wanted to prove that she was just as good as a man which is certainly fair enough for her! It also played on the more dystopian aspects of the book.

The worldbuilding in book 1 was already good, but Mine to Spell definitely added more to it, Serena was limited in what she knew about her world because she only saw a woman's side of it, whereas Cynthia saw the male side as well.

The love story was definitely stronger for Cynthia than for Serena, though her relationship with Lukas was still a slower romance than most stories of the kind. The biggest thing about their relationship was how sweet it was, I thought they were a really good together.

I don't feel I can say much more without revealing things about the book that could be classed as spoilers. But this was a great read and I hope that book 3 arrives soon!