Sunday, 5 April 2015

Book: The Party Girl by Tamara Morgan

Title: The Party Girl
Series: Getting Physical (#3)
Author: Tamara Morgan
From: Netgalley
Genre: Romance
Release Date: 3rd February 2014
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Kendra spent her twenties being who other people expected her to be. Now in her thirties, she's finally found herself and is confident in the person she's become. Nothing is for the long term, until her friend Lincoln drags her into the life of Noah, a self-inflicted hermit hiding from his past. But Noah doesn't feel they should act on their feelings because Lincoln is in love with her...

My first thought is that I don't think that the cover, or the blurb on amazon/Goodreads, does this book justice. In fact its a good job I have a habit of picking which book to read next randomly and don't actually check the blurb til the end, because I genuinely don't think that the real story matches what the blurb says...in a good way, this story really drew me in.

Despite potential misconceptions (based on the title, cover & blurb), Kendra wasn't really a party girl. Instead she was a woman who knew how she wanted to look and was proud to look that way. I actually found it really refreshing to have a female MC who was confident in her looks rather than shy but good looking.

Another thing I liked was the way that the book dealt with plastic surgery. Kendra had a boob job, and worked in a surgery where aesthetic surgery was performed. But Kendra said at serveral points that plastic surgery, and body changes, were done for herself rather than anyone else, and said the same to other people. I think that, considering plastic surgery does happen, this is actually a healthier way to talk about it in books.

I also really liked the fact that the romance was a slow burner. There was definite chemistry between Noah and Kendra right from the start, but the first part of the book was focused on the fact that they were denying themselves (for Lincoln's benefit). Their relationship then progressed to show the issues after they got together, which worked well as well.

I enjoyed The Party Girl, though I am glad I went into it without any expectations of the story!