Friday, 15 May 2015

Audiobook: Paris for One by Jojo Moyes

Title: Jojo Moyes
Author: Paris for One
Narrator: Charlie Sanderson
From: iTunes
Genre: Romance, Chick Lit
Release Date: 5th February 2015
Challenges: Bookish Resolutions, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon - iTunes

For one of the first times in her life, Nell did something spontaneous; she booked a trip to Paris for her and her boyfriend Pete. When the first day of her holiday goes completely wrong, including her ending up alone in Paris, she decides to make what she can of her holiday, including giving the sexy French writer, Fabien, a shot...

As you can probably tell now, audiobooks have definitely grown on me. I like having something to listen to at the gym and now find myself getting a little bit lost in them like I do in ebooks. Score one for audio! Though it does still seem a little silly when I realise that it would still take me less time to read the book than listen to it!

Charlie Sanderson (the narrator) definitely added something to Paris for One. Not only did she give each character a different voice, but she included accents in those, even when the characters were together with people speaking their own language. I enjoyed listening to Sanderson's French characterisations they added something to the story.

The story itself is light hearted and fun. There's no massive issues to really overcome, but Nell does grow from the woman she thinks she is to the woman that she actually is, and I liked that. There was nothing too heavy about the story but that is what made it enjoyable.

I loved the way that Moyes chose to show Paris. It wasn't in the details about the big tourist attractions that got me, but rather the descriptions of Parisien life. From the way that customer service personel act, to the way that French nightlife really works. Paris for One reminded me of my own time living in Paris. Moyes captured the heart of the city rather than the tourism and I loved that!

This was a fun listen, I enjoyed it!